Sunday 14 February 2016

On The Reading List

Hello everyone! I have another reading list for you today. I last did one of these posts in September, and have been eager to get another one up on the blog. The books on the last post have been read and enjoyed, and I highly recommend 'Yes Please' and 'Not That Kind Of Girl' as they left me in stitches, and actually made me laugh out loud - very loud.  Towards the end of last month (when my student loan came in), I went straight on to Amazon and picked up a few of the books from my wishlist. So here is why they are waiting to be read!

'Reasons To Stay Alive' by Matt Haig // This has been on my reading list for a good few months now, and when I started to see it on Instagram and Twitter I just knew it was going to become the next 'it' book. So I purchased it. The last book I finished reading was 'Yes Please' by Amy Poehler, and as soon as I finished it, I picked up this book. As you can see from the photo, I've managed to read a good chunk of it so far and I love it already! If you haven't heard of the book, it is a real-life account of Matt Haig's battle with depression and anxiety. Being a psychology undergrad I find it so interesting to see what goes through people's minds when they have a mental illness, but I also find it helpful with my own anxiety. The book isn't another story filled with psychological rubbish, it documents Matt's journey with depression from his own experiences. I highly suggest picking up a copy if you or someone you know is battling depression, and even if not it is a highly interesting read. 

'The Fashion Book' by Phaidon Company Press // My friend Sarah bought me this brilliant book for Christmas and I love it! It is basically a giant dictionary of fashion, and includes designers and fashion/beauty brands, alongside photographers and influential people like Madonna and Brigitte Bardot. I love books like this because I am really (and I mean really) into fashion photography, and a lot of my photography portfolio is made up of fashion photography. But not only do I enjoy taking my own photographs, I equally enjoy looking at the work of others - so I am excited to sit down and give this book a proper 'read'. 

'It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be' by Paul Arden // I picked this up on a bit of whim and I'm so glad I did. It's described as a 'pocket bible for the talented and timid to make the unthinkable and the impossible possible'. I've had a little flick through it and there are a few sections that aren't really relevant to me and are aimed more at wannabe business tycoons, but the majority of the book looks great if you're wanting to improve yourself and your careers aspirations. It offers great advice for those finishing university and entering the competitive world of work, but also for those who are self-employed or already have a job. Just flicking through, my favourite section is the 'Wit and Wisdom' section right at the end of the book, which includes lots of motivational quotes that everyone loves. 

'Women In This Town' by Giuseppe Santamaria // Giuseppe Santamaria is an incredible street photographer, and this book is any fashion maven's bible. It is jam packed full of street fashion photography from the streets of Paris, London, Madrid, etc. This book is totally #stylegoals, and gives you an insight to what normal, everyday people actually wear. The photographs in the book are so diverse and a large collection of styles from people of different ages are incorporated into the book making it great for anyone to read. If you're a male reader, then there is also a male version of this book called 'Men In This Town', which is the exact same book but with photos of males instead of females. 

'Pretty Honest' by Sali Hughes // I honestly have no idea why it has taken me so long to pick this book up as it has been on my wishlist for forever! I was a little dubious when ordering it, as it talks a lot about skincare and I was worried that Sali was going to be promoting makeup wipes and not taking your makeup off. But then I saw a review by Caroline Hirons (the skincare GOD) so all my worries disappeared and it was welcomed onto my doorstep the following day. I don't really know how to describe this book as it literally covers everything and is the ultimate beauty companion! I think it is worth a read for anyone who is interested in makeup or beauty!

'Face Paint' by Lisa Eldridge // Lisa Eldridge is one of my all time favourite makeup artists (alongside Charlotte Tilbury obvs), and I was so excited when I saw she was releasing her own beauty book. I've watched her tutorials online for years, and I was ready to embrace whatever the book had to offer. Rather than showing you how to apply liquid eyeliner, and how to get flawless base makeup, Lisa Eldridge talks about the history of makeup, and the ever-changing reasons as to why we wear makeup. Face Paint reveals stories from Lisa's experiences in the beauty industry, and there are plenty of photos of her vintage makeup collection. 

What are you reading at the moment?
Thanks for reading!
Love Charlotte x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig