Sunday 1 January 2017

A Reflection: 2016

Well, we did it! We made it through yet another year. And keeping with tradition, I'd like to take this opportunity to reflect on the passing year. 2016, for me, was one of those years where everything unexpected seemed to happen. Where every time I made a plan or set myself a goal, something decided to come along and ruin it. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how 2016 turned out, but it was a really tough year for many reasons so I'm pretty glad to be seeing the back of it. 

As you will probably know, 2016 was a big year for my health. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my ankle and have been in constant pain for the last 6 months. I spent the year being prodded and poked by numerous doctors. Having scans, x-rays, and blood tests. Along with weekly physiotherapy sessions that leave me feeling exhausted and achy. Obviously, like any right-minded person, I would have liked to be in perfect health for my entire life, but clearly things weren't meant to be. And, although I would do anything to wish the pain away, or to be able to do anything a normal 20 year old can do, I am thankful for what has come out of this bad situation. 

Surprisingly it has done wonders for my mental health. It has allowed me to focus on the smaller things that most people take for granted (like walking to the kitchen to make a cuppa), and concentrate on the things in life I do have and not what I don't (the Gucci Soho Disco bag for instance). And, although other people may not be able to notice a change in me, I certainly can. I am so much happier than I was this time last year, and I feel so much more confident in myself. 

This change allowed me to do something that shocked even me. I've never been happy with my weight, and it's something I'm really self-conscious about. So joining Slimming World in October was a really big deal for me. And although it's pretty pricey, investing more in myself has been one of the best things I have done in my entire life. I've lost around 1½st (9.5kg) so far, and I've gained a bucketful of confidence along the way. I'm currently at my lowest weight in years, and I couldn't be happier. 

2016 was also the year that I was unsuccessful with my teacher training application. Being a teacher is something I have dreamed of my whole life, and having to put my dream on hold is daunting. 2017 is going to be the year of big changes for me. And even though it's only the beginning of January I am both excited and terrified of what it's going to bring. My year is not at all planned, and is definitely going to be a year of me 'going with the flow'. 

2017 is the year that I graduate from university with a degree in Psychology. The year that, after 17 straight years of education, I am no longer a student. 2017 is the year that I leave education and enter the "real world" and get a "proper job". And 2017 is the year that I turn 21 years of age.

So I am excited to see what 2017 brings me, and I hope that it brings you as much happiness as you deserve.

How did your 2016 go, and how do you feel about 2017?







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig