Sunday 7 August 2016

Skincare That Works


Finding out what skincare Is right for you is pretty much a trial and error process. It has honestly taken me years to build a skincare routine that works for me. I'm still on the hunt for products that will banish spots for good, but there are a few staples in my collection that help my skin whatever problem it is facing at the time.

Cleansers // If I had to pick one formulation of cleanser, it would have to be cream. They are so gentle on your skin and really great for removing makeup - a pretty fail safe product for me and anybody who owns a face. My all time favourite is the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, and although it is slightly pricey to use all the time - I like to make sure I've always got some in my collection for when my skin is feeling a little sensitive or dry. One of my current go-to cleansers is the Good Things Skin Manuka Honey Creamy Cleanser. OMG words cannot describe how much I love this cleanser! And even though it is well under £5, I would happily pay a lot more for it!

Toners // A lot of people don't seen the point in toners, but they are one of the most important steps for me. Caroline Hirons *the skincare GOD* emphasises the importance of an 'acid toner' instead of a stereotypical toner. Personally, I like to mix and match depending on the condition of my skin. When  I don't have many spots and have billions of the scars they've left behind, I like to opt for an acid toner like the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads, or the Pixi Glow Tonic. The First Aid Beauty pads are a very mild form of acid and are suitable for use both morning and evening. Personally I like to use them in the evening as my skin can sometimes be left a little red afterwards, and when in a rush on a morning I don't want to be waiting around for the redness to go down before doing my makeup. If I am wanting to use an acid in the morning (or evening as it's so gentle it can be used for both), I opt for the Pixi Glow Tonic which is so good I have a backup ready and I still have half a bottle left! When my skin is in need of some soothing I like to use the Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic, as it is brilliant for soothing those troublesome under the skin spots!

Scrubs // Now I don't tend to use scrubs that much anymore, as using acid toners on a twice daily basis tends to exfoliate my skin enough. But for those occasions where my skin is a little dryer or dehydrated than usual, I like to have a couple in for when I need them. My usual go-to scrub for the last two or three years has been the Soap and Glory Scrub Your Nose In It Facial Scrub, as I just haven't found anything else that compares to it. It contains both AHAs and BHAs, so exfoliates skin on multiple different levels. It really helps sort my skin out as it is quite a fine scrub so you don't need to apply any pressure to get rid of dry patches. It also doubles up as a mask which is great when you are experiencing a breakout because the acids in it help calm down your skin, and aid absorption of your other skincare products. 

Masks // I like to treat my skin to a face mask at least once a week. I aim to use a face mask twice a week, and sometimes throw an overnight face mask into the mix mid-week for good measure. I can really see a difference in my skin when I forget to use one, so I schedule a mask into my week by placing it on my to do list. My favourite type of masks are clay masks as they are great for drawing out impurities and calming down any blemishes. At the moment my go-to face masks are the Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Face Mask and the Good Things Skin Manuka Honey Face Mask. They are both quite similar, although the Good Things mask has white clay in it so cleansers on a more deeper level. 

Serums and Oils // These are a fairly recent additions into my skincare routine, as I too was under the myth that oils would make my skin oiler, and serums were pointless. But the opposite is infact true, oils balance the skin and prevent the production of excess oils leaving your skin looking 'normal'. Serums are targeted at reducing specific skin complaints, and are more effective than anything else. Oils, don't really do much for blemishes, but they help calm the skin which in turn helps to reduce the size of blemishes. One of my current favourite oils is the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate, as it feels so luxurious to apply before hopping into bed. The Estee Lauder serums are also lovely. 

Moisturisers // Obviously you need a moisturiser to protect your skin, keep it hydrated, and form a barrier against the elements. I have quite a few different moisturisers that I pick and choose depending on how my skin is looking on that particular day. If my skin looks a tad oily, I like to opt for a lighter moisturiser such as the Simple Kind To Skin Light Moisturiser, whereas if my skin is looking dry and dehydrated I pick out a thicker, richer moisturiser such as the Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser for Normal/Combination Skin. In the evening I occasionally switch out my moisturiser for an overnight face mask such as the Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Face Mask or the Origins Calm To The Senses Overnight Face Mask.

SPF // This is less of an essential during the winter months, but extrememly important to be using all year round. The face is exposed to the sun's rays constantly, and it is very hard to provide it with shade. The days of slathering your face in traditional suncreams are over, and new lightweight facial SPFs are popping up everywhere. I use the La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF 50+, but I've heard that the Benefit Dream Screen is also good.

PRODUCTS MENTIONED

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig