Sunday 10 July 2016

Why It's Ok Not To Have A Job

Now that I've finished university for the summer, everyone and their mother seems to be asking me if I'm going to get a job. And they are surprised when I answer blankly - no. "But why? You have so much time on your hands now" they ask. This baffles me so much. Why is it considered socially unacceptable to have a bit of well deserved time off. I don't think people understand how stressful university actually is. There is this big stereotype that students don't do anything, and for the small minority this is true. But for the vast majority of students, university is a seemingly endless pit of fire when relaxation goes to die. I understand that there will be moments where I wish I had something to do, but for now I'm just enjoying the free time to relax and catch up on all the things I've been meaning to do for ages. 

For the last few years I have wasted my summers scouring for part time jobs, and the amount of rejections I've had are unreal. I have found, in my extensive searching, very few jobs that are consistent with a demanding academic timetable. Being told I'm 'overqualified', 'not the right person', or just 'not suitable' (how can you even be overqualified for a retail job? HOW?). Even if I did possess the necessary experience, iron-clad referees, and the qualifications, the summer jobs that were so seemingly abundant, no longer exist. And at this rate, the summer will be over by the time I get myself a summer job. So with that, I thought I'd share with you the reasons why it's ok not to have a job!

Take the time to unwind // If, like me, you're in university (or school/college) you'll know that it can be very hectic and stressful. Everyone deserves a bit of time off now and again, so enjoy it whilst you have the chance. If you want to stay in bed till 3pm - do it. You won't have the chance to do it when you have a job.

Set yourself some career goals // If you don't know what your dream career is yet, don't worry! People in their 30s and 40s still aren't sure! Spend time setting some goals and if you aren't sure what you want to do, sit and think about it logically.

Expand your skillset // It's ok not to have a job as long as you aren't sat around in your pyjamas watching the latest season of OITNB day after day. Take this free time to enhance your CV. Take a course, gain some volunteer work experience, start a hobby. What you do now will heighten your job prospects for the future, and if you are currently applying for jobs - you will have more interesting things to talk about in your interview! I recently took a course in CPR and it has gone straight onto my CV - plus it will prove useful at some point in the future I swear!

Learn something new // Similar to the above point, spend your time learning something new. You can add these onto your CV, and you may even find something that helps you destress once you have a job. Learn a new language, learn to drive - learn something that you've never had the opportunity to learn before.

What do you think, is it ok not to have a job?




Facebook  /  Twitter  /  Instagram  /  Pinterest

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig