Sunday 19 June 2016

The Reading List - Number 3


Now that I've finished university for the summer, I have endless hours to sit and read in the garden. I always look forward to having ~6 months to relax and read all the books that I haven't had the chance to enjoy over the rest of the year. Over the last couple of months I have been splurging on loads of books ready for the moment I submitted my last assignment. So again, I thought I would share with you another instalment of my 'The Reading List' series. These books are the ones at the top of my list and the ones that will probably get read within the next fortnight!
The Society of the Crossed Keys - Stefan Zweig // The Grand Budapest Hotel was recently added onto Netflix, and out of sheer exam revision procrastination I watched it. AND LOVED IT. As soon as the credits went up I went online to seek out the book on which it was based. At first I was a little confused as it didn't seem to be based on one particular book and rather a collection of short stories. I bought the collection in the hopes that it will tell a similar story to the film, and I can only let you know how I get on with it!

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger // A book I have been meaning to buy for forever. The Devil Wears Prada used to be one of my favourite films and I have watched it countless times. I was actually sorting through my Amazon wishlist when I found it hidden away and it immediately went straight into my basket! I'm sure I will love it as much as the film, and I will keep you posted on my thoughts once I start reading it!

Emotional Agility - Susan David // This book has been floating around my Amazon basket since its release in April, and I've actually had it saved under the premise of doing some academic reading. It has very recently made an impact on the blogging community and I finally picked it up so I can read it over the summer. If you didn't already know I'm a psychology undergraduate and I take an immense interest in anything related to mental health. Although this book deals with a potentially complex subject matter, it seems to be an easy and compelling read. Of the many books I've read on emotional intelligence, this is the one I have been the most excited to read.

Forensics, The Anatomy of Crime - Val McDermid // I've always been interested in crime. TV programmes, books, films - you name it I've probably watched/read it long before you've even heard of it. At the start of the year I selected my final year modules and of course Forensic Psychology was at the top of my list (with Business Psychology at the bottom obv), and I thought I would get a head start by reading this. The book discusses anything and everything to do with crime. The books charts centuries of development in forensic techniques with references to well known crimes and atrocities. From first glance, the book covers a wide range of subjects from toxicology, fingerprinting, blood spatter, and DNA, to facial reconstruction, and digital forensics.

Bridget Jones Mad About The Boy - Helen Fielding // I've been having a bit of a clear out recently and I found this stuffed at the back of a drawer. I've only recently finished re-reading the Edge of Reason, so it feels like the perfect time to get stuck into the final installment of the Bridget Jones series. Plus I clearly have to read it before the film version comes out in September!!

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote // One of my all time favourite films.  I love anything with Audrey Hepburn in, and I wanted to read the book it was based on. I thought for ages that I already had this book, but it turns out not! I remember picking it up in Waterstones almost 2 years ago to the day, but I clearly didn't follow through and purchase it! The other day I was browsing through the Penguin Modern Classics collection list, and it reminded me I still needed to read it - so here it is on my list!

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov // I'm quite a fan of classic novels. I've read quite a few in my lifetime (lmao makes me sound about 87), and again this is one I have been meaning to pick up for a while. It's about a pervert, who becomes obsessed with 12 year old Lolita and the book follows him on his quest to 'possess' her. It looks like a bit of a controversial read, but I can't wait to get into it nonetheless.

I have masses of time on my hands so if you have any recommendations of what I should read next, please leave them in the comments!! 




Facebook  /  Twitter  /  Instagram  /  Pinterest


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig