Wednesday 16 March 2016

The Joy Of Early Mornings

Since going back to university in September (and stupidly deciding to commute every single day), I have had my fair share of early starts. With 9am lectures, I end up having to leave the house by 7am before driving, taking two trains and then catching the university shuttle bus. And although I definitely don't consider myself a morning person at all, there is something quite nice about seeing the sun rise and all the hustle and bustle of the city center. Plus there's the well known saying "the early bird catches the worm" right? Of course there's nothing nicer than a lay in when you have nothing to do or nowhere to go, but I have surprisingly been enjoying getting up that bit earlier. So I thought I'd share with you what I'm getting out of waking up that little bit earlier (besides being on time and a better car parking space). 
You get more done
This is kind of a given thing as your days are longer, but in my 2015 reflection post I mentioned that since starting my second year of university I have had such a much better work ethic. All my assignments have been finished weeks in advance and I have a whole new outlook on life. I think all this is down to having to wake up really early, as I start the day with a mission to get things done and be proactive with my time. By starting things earlier, it means I get to finish earlier - so there is plenty of time for relaxing, and winding down before it's time to go to bed. 
You can do whatever you want
Ok... maybe not whatever you want, but if you have got up earlier than you need to you can do whatever you want to do with the time that you have. I make sure I set off in plenty of time to catch my train, and I usually end up getting to the train station about 20 minutes earlier. Before I leave I usually make a cup of tea in a little travel mug/ flask, and I use this time to properly start the day off. I'll sit in my car with a cup of tea and I'll read a book or catch up with the news - whatever I feel like doing at the time. Sometimes I'll treat myself to a muffin or some breakfast from Starbucks, and I'll just use the time to sit and watch the sunrise whilst I eat.
Peace
I'm not one for rushing around as I get really anxious and stressed out when I'm running late. But by getting everything ready the night before, I can start of my day with ease and don't have to worry about things like deciding what I want to wear or where my keys and books are. This means my mornings always start out super chilled and I'm ready to take on the day. Waking up early in the morning is nice because you get to experience the world before it has properly awoken. All the shops are still shut, the birds are chirping at the start of a new day, and there are generally a lot less people around.
Control
By dedicating time in the morning to plan out your day, you can choose exactly how your day is going to pan out. Obviously there are going to be some things that you can't control, but there are so many things that you can decide early on the day. I like to plan out my day to start off in the best way possible. I'll try and do things that I enjoy early on the day (like reading a book), so I start off in a better and happier mood. By doing this I never 'dread' the start of the day, I see it in the same way as I do getting to relax at the end of the day. 

Are you a morning person? What do you like about getting up early?
Thanks for reading!
Love Charlotte x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig