Wednesday 28 October 2015

9 Simple Ways To Save Money

Damn - I know all these sales emerging, and the appearance of Christmas goodies in the shops are making it waaaaaaaay too hard to resist spending all of your hard earned dollar in one go. I bet all of my friends are reading this and laughing at me as I am a hopeless saver. If there is a fancy new luxury makeup product I'm lusting after, I can just about save up for that. But long term saving? Nope. I do however have a keen eye for a bargain and I'm ace at budgeting. Just not with the 'saving for a rainy day' aspect. 

So if you're rubbish with saving, why are you writing a post telling other people how to save? Well my friends, the title was a lie. I know, I know - I'm sorry. But! I am going to tell you how I resist the urge to spend money on non-essentials! Read on....

If you are going to buy something - pay with cash. It adds incentive to the spending. Physically seeing the money disappearing out of your purse (and into the hand of a rather smug looking cashier) makes it seem more real. Plan a budget and stick to it, only take as much cash out as you intend to spend. If you nip into Boots to get one thing, only take enough money for that one item - that way you won't be tempted to impulse buy.

Ask yourself why you need something. Are you just buying it because you can or do you have a use for it? Are you going to buy all that workout gear and stop working out after a week? If you question yourself every time you go to purchase something, chances are you'll realise that you don't need it. For example, every time I go clothes shopping and I see something I like, I ask myself if I would actually wear it. If I can't picture myself in it - I don't buy it. Simple as that. 

Use student discount if you have it. It really does add up. I use my student discount at everywhere that excepts it. That 10,15,20% or whatever off may not seem much at the time. But If you're the type of person that likes to go shopping (even online) it can help you save your well earned money for something else. 

Sales. Depending on your frame of mind, they are either a handy way to save money or where all your money goes. Personally I hate sales. But occasionally you might find a hidden jem. At the weekend I popped into TKMaxx (whose 5p carrier bags are useless btw) and there were so many things that I was surprised at how cheap they were! For example, I have been dying to get my hands on the Deliciously Ella cookbook for yonks. It retails at £20 everywhere and at TKMaxx it was £9.99!! I didn't buy it though as I'm trying to avoid spending money on myself at the moment as I've been way spendy with my student loan this semester. 

Shop offers. Similarly to the point above. Offers can be either life or death. They are specifically designed to get you to spend more money. Do you actually have a use for the offer. Is the offer making you want to spend more money? If makeup is 3 for 2 in Boots are you going to buy 3 lipsticks instead of the 1 you only went in for?

Points / membership cards. Membership cards for places you go to regularly can be really useful. There are usually two different types of cards: 1) Cards where you earn points for your spending and 2) Cards where you get a slight discount. 

Save change in a jar. Save all your loose change in a jar. Then every now and again take it into the bank and swop it for notes. Or get it transferred into your account. That 2p coin you found on the way to work will go nicely with the 1p you found on the train. Before you know it you'll have a pound or two saved up! 

Avoid online shopping. Like I said before, you can't see the money disappearing. It hits you when it is too late. The money is gone. Of course you can return things, but some sneaky retailers can charge you ridiculous postage fees to send things back. 

Avoid using your overdraft. AT ALL COSTS. Don't spend money you haven't got. Simple as that. I know way too many mates who went into their overdraft last year at university and some of them were hit with massive fines for not being able to pay it off. 

Let me know if you have any tips of your own - I need all the help I can get!
Thanks for reading!
Love Charlotte x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

© Charlotte Sophia Roberts. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig